The Bigs in Blue/Bigs with Badges program is a national initiative that is focused on building relationships between law enforcement agencies and the communities they serve. Police officers and civilian staff (Bigs) spend one-on-one mentoring time with a child (Littles) at their school one hour per week or 8 hours a month in the community. For more information, contact Jennifer Libby, JenniferL@bbbstampabay.org or 813.997.3510
Why Bigs in Blue/Bigs with Badges?
Bigs in Blue/Bigs with Badges programming fosters two-way understanding between law enforcement and the communities they serve through one-to-one mentoring relationships. We believe that communities are safer and stronger when law enforcement models values of diversity and racial equity. We promote this behavior by fostering relationships that encourage mutual dialogue with the goal of uplifting marginalized voices and humanizing law enforcement officers in the communities they serve. Through these match relationships, targeted programming, and intentional initiatives, we become part of creating an environment where all youth achieve their full potential.
In September 2016, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America announced that Bigs in Blue—formerly a program at the agency level—would become a national initiative. The program was launched locally in the Fall of 2017 with the Tampa Police Department, where more than 35 officers and personnel are matched with elementary school children in Hillsborough County. Law enforcement agencies also have the option to host a School-to-Work program.
Benefits to Employers
- Recruitment: candidates are attracted to organizations that share similar values and want to give back to their community
- Volunteerism: our program is a convenient way for employers to bring volunteer opportunities to their employees
- Engagement: helps employers maintain/build employee engagement
- Retention: people want to stay with organizations that make a difference
- Team Building: brings people from different parts of the organization together to strengthen the organizational culture
- Diversity: our innovative mentoring model appeals to a diverse and multi-generational workplace
”It’s just great to have another role model and a person who can support me and listen…and I can do the same.Little matched in the Bigs in Blue/Bigs with Badges program
”I really enjoy spending time with [my Little]…She is great and I think [BBBS] did a wonderful job matching us!Big from St. Petersburg Police Department